Thursday, July 05, 2007

Too much salt!

This most recent westbound trip also allowed us to get up close and personal with the Great Salt Lake Basin west of Salt Lake City.

First of all- the place is FLAT! Here is one view of our route.

Along the way, some one had the idea to erect a sculpture to enliven the landscape….. But the prevailing opinion is that these spheres and the casings on the ground are proof of extraterrestrials breeding on earth!

Interstate 80 crosses the Bonneville Salt Flats. We made a stop at the visitor’s center. Here is the informational sign that describes the history of setting the world land speed record on this site.

We walked out onto the salt flats and, sure enough, the ground is nothing but salt! Here is a close up.

But then Kurt started ribbing me about MY land speed truck driving record set the day before as I topped out at 77mph passing other trucks in Wyoming. I decided I couldn’t take it any longer- so I kicked the legs out from underneath him and left him stranded on the salt flats.

Here is the last view Kurt had of me and the truck as I drove away

[ha ha]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally got to see the blog about the salt--it is pretty funny!
love lisa